This post is brought to you by NOW® Foods but opinions expressed are 100% my own!
Chia seeds are bursting with so many good for you nutrients! To add more into your daily routine try these 25+ ways to eat chia seeds!
A couple years back, I remember the initial push to add Chia Seeds to your diet… I remember thinking to myself two things…
- What the heck are these “chia seed” things and why should I be eating them? AND
- How the heck am I supposed to eat these things.
So like any other dutiful health food aficionado I “googled” it, did some research, and allowed my nutritional background to help me understand and digest all the data out there on the topic of chia seeds.
I found out that chia seeds really do pack quite a punch nutritionally speaking with 11 grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein, 9 grams of fat (5 of which are those hard to come by omega 3s)! They also contain a high percentage of your daily nutrient requirements of calcium (18% of the RDA), manganese (30% of the RDA), magnesium (30% of the RDA) and phosphorus (27% of the RDA) all in a 1 ounce serving which will set you back about 137 calories! Pretty impressive right!
Besides all the healthy nutritional stats chia seeds have been linked to following health benefits:
- Healthy Skin + Anti Aging Benefits: The high antioxidants help repair damage those nasty free radicals can wreak on our skin.
- Digestive Health: All that fiber helps keeps things moving 😉
- Heart Health: Chia seeds have shown to help reduce inflammation, help regulate cholesterol, and lower blood pressure – all things that help to keep your heart healthy.
- Helps Boosts Energy + Metabolism: One study showed that consuming chia seeds enhanced exercise performance for workouts that lasted 90 minutes the same way a sugar-laden sports drink would, but without the unnecessary sugar! Studies also show that the addition of chia seeds to your diet also reduces the “belly fat” tissue that can affect overall metabolism.
- Stronger Bones: With 18% of your daily calcium – it’s no wonder chia seeds help improve bone health
- Build Muscle: With 4 grams of protein per serving, it is a fantastic source of plant-based protein to help build lean muscle mass.
- Dental Health: The zinc in chia seeds has been known to help with bad breath, prevent tartar buildup and help keep plaque at bay.
So with all those good for you nutrients and stats how do you take those little seeds and turn them into something you’d like eat on a repeated basis? Because let’s face it! Those bags of chia seeds are huge! So without further ado – I give you my round-up of 25+ delicious and scrumptious ways to eat chia seeds!
Chia Seed puddings are all the rage on Pinterest!… If you have NOT given them a try, you should! They are REALLY good! They are also a cinch to throw together. Here a couple of fun ones to try! And as you saw from Tuesday’s post I am the newest convert and lover of chia seed pudding!
Blackberry Almond Chia Pudding – Food Pleasure and Health
Chocolate Chia Pudding – My Real Food Family
Chia Mocha Pudding – This & That
Chia Pomegranate Pudding – My Real Food Family
Joyful Almond Chia Seed Pudding – Maybe I Will
Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding – Food Faith and Fun
Paleo Gingerbread Chia Pudding – Plaid & Paleo
Matcha Chia Pudding – Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen
Or you can get a little fancier and whip up a parfait…
Pina Colada Parfait – Diary Of An Ex Sloth
Raspberry Chia Yogurt Parfait – Food Done Light
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Chia Parfait – A Fit Philosophy
Greek Yogurt Parfaits – Fairy Burger
How about whipping up some yummy Chia Seed jam? These look so good! I can imagine these jams would be good over some yogurt, toast, oats – really the options are endless!
Blackberry Refrigerator Jam – Ann’s Entitled Life
Raw Chia Seed Strawberry Jam – Leelalicious
Easy Nectarine Jam – The Fit Cookie
Pumpkin Almond Super Seed Butter – The Fit Foodie Mama
Chia Seed Cookies Anyone?!?! —- Sign me up!
Pumpkin Chia Seed Breakfast Cookies – Chicago Jogger
Chia Seed Cookies With Chocolate Chips – Thrifty Jinxxy
Or how bout some energy bars and balls…
Apricot Chia Oat Bars – Food Done Light
Slow Cooker Quinoa Energy Bars – Food, Faith, and Fitness
High Fiber Energy Balls – Courtney Bentley – Fitness Expert and Personal Trainer
Starting your day with Chia Seeds doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all! These breakfast cereal recipes look ah-mazing!
Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats – Leelalicious
Orange Chocolate Chia Buckwheat Cereal – Strength and Sunshine
Quick and Easy Peanut Butter and Honey Chia Toast – Family Centsability
And there is always the smoothie option! – I am notorious for throwing seeds in my Protein Shakes – most of my recipes don’t have them listed but you can add a 1 TBS to each and every one of them to up the nutrient quota!
Chia-Almond Smoothie – Plaid and Paleo
Antioxidant Power Smoothie – Leelalicious
Dark Berry & Chia Smoothie – Lavender and Lemonade
So if I did my math right that’s a total 27 SCRUMPTIOUS Chia Seed recipes! And if you still need/want more Chia Seed goodness – check out my Pinterest board dedicated to ONLY Chia Seed recipes.
What’s your favorite way to eat Chia Seeds?
I love NOW Foods Black Organic Chia Seeds – they are sold in smaller more manageable bags and are from organic sources to ensure the best quality possible! I have them constantly stocked in my pantry and at the ready!