Oh a hiking we will go…
Kelly and I are celebrating our 12 year anniversary this month and like most people we decided to go for a hike. Right… that’s what you do? Just kidding I know we’re boring and we’re total dorks.
We decided to celebrate by tackling a 14 mile hike up Table Mountain just 2.5 miles west of the Grand Tetons. Let me just start by saying Kelly and I have not hiked since our high school days. But we figured we had been working out and we consider ourselves to be in shape. So we woke up at 5:30 am Saturday morning and picked up our friends and made the drive to the Tetons!
The hike was a strenuous 7 miles up to a 11,000 foot summit .. the views were AMAZING!! The hike uphill was HARD! I was huffing and puffing! But as the Miley Cyrus song states its all about the climb. Once we reached the top it was exhilarating! It is such an amazing thing to be among our Heavenly Father’s beautiful creations!! To accomplish such a feat and then to be surrounded by such breath taking beauty is beyond words! I could of sat up there forever just basking in it all!! But we did have a 7 mile hike down steep inclines awaiting us! So it was back to work! I LOVED the hike down I could of run the whole way down! It was an empowering feeling to run down the trail leaping over rocks and rough terrain. Next time I think I’ll just have someone drop me off at the top and so I can run down! I would do that over and over again! 🙂
If you are new to hiking or have not been in awhile here are some things to remember so you are prepared!
- Pack Plenty of Water! -Both Kelly and I brought our own Camel pack
- Bring FOOD! – Energy bars are great, dried fruit and nuts, and peanut butter and honey sandwiches on wholewheat bread are very tote-able and were perfect fuel for our hike!
- Wear two sets of socks! — No blisters to report! I’m pretty sure this is why!
- Wear comfortable shoes! — This is not the time to break in new shoes! Wear comfortable and sturdy shoes
- Study the terrain where you are planning on hiking so that you are somewhat familiar with the what you’ll be facing
- Consider hiking sticks… Our friends both had them and they really liked them! I think they would be awesome to have! And would help give you some more balance while hiking
- Bring a camera! You’ll be seeing some amazing sights and that stuff needs to be documented!
- Always hike with a buddy! Do not hike alone! I was lucky my hiking buddy was super hot! 😉
- Pack a basic first aid kit just in case!
- Enjoy it!!! Have fun and be safe!!
About half way up! If you look closely you’ll notice Kelly it totally copping a feel.