This post contains affiliate links, by clinking on the links and making a purchase I will make a small commission.
If you are like me and grew up in the eighties or nineties, there was no need to put any effort to get kids moving. We entertained ourselves. As a latch key kid, it was up to me to entertain myself.
I remember growing up and leaving my house at the crack of dawn to meet the other neighborhood kids to play in the summer months. We would run and laugh, breezing through each other’s homes to grab a much-needed snack and then head right back outside for more fun! There was no limit, and our imaginations could take us anywhere. I have so many memories of playing until the street lamps would flicker on, signaling us that it was time to head home after a long day of playing.
Kids these days are spending more time glued to the TV, video games, and other screens. It is putting their health in danger. Children need activity just as much as adults do. We are all energetic beings, and our bodies are designed to move. But to be thorough, let’s dive into the science of why children need physical activity.
Why Do Kids Need To Be Active?
Research shows the following benefits of physical activity in children.
- Being active helps kids build strong muscles and bones
- Lowers risk of childhood obesity
- Decreases risk of developing type 2 diabetes
- Improves sleep
- Improves mental health
- Improves overall physical health
How Much Daily Activity is Needed?
Physical activity guidelines show children ages 5 to 18 need a minimum of 60 minutes of physical activity every day. It is also recommended that the activity is at a moderate to vigorous physical activity level.
To help promote a healthy and active lifestyle for kids and help my kids find ways to free their eyes from screens, I’ve rounded up 50 Ways To Get Kids Moving. These are fun and unique ways to get your kids moving and active. Active kids make healthy kids, so make a goal and commit to squeezing in time for play and being active.
50 Different Ways For Kids of All Ages To Get Moving. Let’s Move 🙌🏻
- Hop Scotch
- Four Square: We played this the other night, and my kids had SOOO much fun!
- Phineas and Ferb Workout – Kids love this one because – screen time! I love it because they are still active! Great for all fitness levels
- Kick Ball
- Tennis – grab some rackets and hit the courts. I would feed my kids a tennis ball and then have them run down the ball if they missed.
- Step 2 It Challenge
- Basketball – play a simple game of horse or pig!
- Ring Around the Rosie – perfect for littles
- Simon Says
- Red Rover – this is a fun game to play with a group of kids
- Bike Ride
- Take a walk after dinner – Get some fresh air and play I-Spy!
- Take it to the Curb for step-ups.
- Take on The Marathon a Month Challenge!
- Hula Hooping – make it a game.
- Jump Rope Grab some jump ropes and jump it out.
- Make an obstacle course – Take turns setting it up.
- Go for a hike. I love using the Alltrails app to find trails near me that are a good length and easy for kids!
- Wiffle Ball
- Miniature Golf
- Plan a scavenger hunt
- Plant a garden
- Jump on the trampoline
- Grab some skates or rollerblades.
- Handstand contest… this is a riot.
- Geocaching. Some terrific apps are very easy to follow, and find the hidden gems that are all around you!
- Climb trees – When was the last time you did this? Please make sure they’re sturdy.
- Water balloon Volleyball – you play with sheets and water balloons!
- Tug O’ War
- Toss the football around.
- Two-legged races
- Egg Walk Relays – who can not crack the egg!
- Indoor Rock Climbing
- Go to an Indoor Trampoline Park – talking about burning energy! I can usually find a coupon on Groupon!
- Dance Party! Nothing beats an impromptu dance-a-thon. Crank up those popular songs your kids’ love!
- Have your kids lead you in a “workout.” So fun. And a great way to get the whole family moving.
- Set up the ole’ Slip-n-Slide.
- Run through the sprinklers.
- Duck, Duck Goose! An oldie but a goody. (Younger kids loves this one)
- Take a walk and play Don’t Step On The Crack.
- Hit the park: Include the jungle gym and cook up a workout at the park. Or just PLAY!
- Take Twister outdoors!
- Ax Throwing: This one is an awesome for older kids. My Teens love it!
- Try exercise videos created just for kids.
- Build pillow forts
- Head over to YouTube for a Debbie Doo workout
- Hokey Pokey: Turn yourself about
- Practice Yoga Poses with your kids – There is a family yoga challenge in my Challenges Book >Challenge #41
- Play Hot Lava; your entire living room floor is now filled with hot lava!
We are the role models for our kids; if they see us making time to exercise, we will help them learn to make physical activity a lifelong habit. So make time and find movement opportunities. Help your kids put down their screens and have fun PLAYING and being active! Let’s help build a healthy future for our kiddos and encourage active play. Let’s get kids moving again!
Much Love + Good Luck!