This post contains affiliate links; I earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase.
We all have been there.
Sometimes we find ourselves in a funk, feeling sad or “off,” it happens! First and foremost, this is part of being a human. So there is no need to feel guilt and shame about it. However, you need to know that you are the owner of your happiness, so it is your responsibility to step in and take action.
To help you get back to yourself, in today’s blog post, I am sharing how to increase happiness in your life by sharing ten proven ways to increase positive emotions and increase your happiness level! So hang tight, and let’s shake up that funk. No need to hide behind a fake smile any longer!
10 PROVEN Ways To Increase Positive Emotions + Happiness!
1. Gratitude Journal – I will preach on this very topic for the remainder of my days. Gratitude elevates your mood immediately and helps you to take note and pay attention to the good things in your life. I often refer to this as the spotlight effect. Where our attention goes, our energy flows. So if you are looking at your life and thinking about all the things that are going wrong and why your life is so hard, guess what the Universe will send you more of, you guessed it, all the things you do NOT want more of. But here is the cool thing. If you spend time feeling deeply grateful for the money you have in your bank account and all the little things you have to be grateful for, the Universe sees your gratitude and sends you even more, to be grateful for. Trust me. Gratitude is magical! I write in my gratitude journal every day! And this small addition to my daily routine has made a huge difference. So find ways to practice gratitude whenever you can.
2. Social Connections– We as humans are by nature social beings. We crave and need to surround ourselves with social relationships. But here is where it can get dicey. Not all relationships are good and healthy. Some family members can be what I lovingly refer to as energy vampires. They can take and drain our energy, so learn to set boundaries. And choose to surround yourself with happy people. People who lift you up and you feel energized being around. We are all energic beings, and whether you realize it or not, you feel differently around different people. So start paying attention to how you feel around people and spend time with positive people who help you feel greater happiness!
3. Sunshine –Vitamin D is essential for our overall health. But did you know vitamin D is linked to mood disorders?
Symptoms of Vitamin D Deficiency
- Mood changes accompanied by overwhelming feelings of hopelessness, sadness, and hopelessness
- Loss of interest in activities that previously sparked excitement
- Suicidal thoughts
- Feelings of anxiety
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive weight loss or gain
- Trouble sleeping
As you can see, not getting enough sun can be a big reason why you may be feeling off! So step outside it the light and face the sun! Let it feel you up and warm you up. It can be hard to get enough sunlight during the winter months. So you may want to consider a vitamin D supplement or a Light Therapy Lamp. Sunlight has a profound effect on our mental health!
4. Meditation: Practicing mindfulness meditation allows you to let go of negative emotions and embrace positive feelings. One of the greatest gifts we have for controlling mood is our breath. Next time you feel stressed and anxious, take a deep breath and complete this simple mindfulness technique. The good news even slowing down for five minutes to meditate and focus on the present moment can make a difference in our pursuit of happiness.
5. Acts of Kindness: Serving others and getting outside ourselves is the best way to get a boost to our own happiness. WE are meant to serve and love one another. So by making a conscious effort to serve those around us, we benefit. Check out my 30-day kindness challenge for simple things you can do to serve others. There are so many different ways to help those around us.
6. Regular Exercise –Our bodies need to move. They are made up of energy, and energy, as you know, likes to be in action. Please think about this. Think about a day you spent being lazy and binging TV all day, accomplishing nothing and moving very little. Now think about a day you got up and worked out. I bet you that on the day you got up and moved, you FELT better. I bet you had more energy and better focus throughout your day. Yes waking up and moving stinks! It is hard, but I always enjoy a boost to my mood and energy levels after working out, even if all I did was take a brisk walk around my neighborhood. Movement is important for a good mood and your overall physical health.
7. Laughter – Laughter really is the best medicine. Hang out with a best friend that makes you laugh. See a funny movie or watch a funny high vibe show. Hang out and play games with your kids. Do something that you know will get you rolling, whatever that is for you! Let loose and be silly! Life is not that serious!
8. Find a New Hobby: We are creators. So we have an innate desire to create within us. To share our talents with those we love. It is in our DNA. For me, writing is how I express my need to create. Maybe for you, it is knitting our painting. Find a creative outlet and let yourself create! I challenge you to sign up for that pottery class you’ve had your eye on or that improv class. Whatever calls to you, do it!!!
9. Watch Your Thoughts: Your thoughts are powerful. What you think on a regular basis becomes what you believe, and your beliefs become your reality. So if you focus on positive thoughts and nip negative thoughts when they pop up, you can begin to shape your beliefs. If you have negative thoughts, instead of shaming yourself for having negative thoughts (this can start a vicious cycle), acknowledge them and get curious about why that thought may have come up. By getting curious and asking questions, you may uncover an unconscious belief you are holding onto that you need to clear.
10. Get outside: Being out in mother nature is healing and good for the soul. Take a minute while being outside to take your shoes off and try “grounding.” It is so good for your soul! It is hard to deny that being outside in nature is an instant mood booster. Whenever I am in a funk, I take to the mountains and spend some time alone with my shoes off, of course! 😉
Health Benefits Associated With Grounding:
- Reduces inflammation.
- Decreases pain.
- Decreases stress response.
- Increases heart rate variability.
- Improves sleep.
- Improves cortisol rhythm.
- Improves wound healing.
- Reduces blood viscosity.
There you have it how to improve happiness in ten different ways! I hope these ideas help you to take action and improve your mood. That you can find your way back to happiness within you. And at the end of each day,
you are in charge of your happiness in your own life. You choose whether you are happy or not. It is a choice we need to make every day.
If you find yourself in a space that feels out of your control and nothing you are doing seems to work, please seek help. There was a time in my life when I was on an anti-depressant to help me balance out my hormones and get back to being myself. So please, if you need help, seek it! There is no shame in needing some help from time to time.