Super Simple + Tasty, Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Pesto Soup
Although Fall is in the air, and I am seriously wishing and missing warmer temps, it has been raining like crazy here in the great state of Utah.
What is the weather like in your neck of the woods?? Hopefully, you are having better luck than we are.
Whether it is warming up for you or not, an easy soup recipe is always a win! Especially if it is a throw it in your slow cooker and let it be soup! I love easy slow cooker recipes for busy weeknights where I am busy running kids to various activities.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Pesto Soup with Orzo recipe is always in our family’s regular rotation regardless of the season. My kids gobble it up! And when they get to pick the meals, this is one they always choose.
But don’t worry, it also is a huge hit with adults as well. When I know I am having guests but will be on a time crunch to have dinner on the table, or I’m not sure when to expect my guests – this is a great dinner to have warm and waiting for their arrival! I like to serve it with a loaf of good crusty bread or garlic bread.
This Chicken Pesto Soup is Super Simple To Throw Together, And You Will Look Like a Culinary Genius.
- Step One: Prep your veggies, chop carrots, onion, and celery into small bite-size pieces. You’ll also want to mince your garlic.
- Step Two: In a Six Quart Slow Cooker, combine the chicken broth (feel free to use homemade chicken stock, like this recipe from Spruce Eats) with veggies, seasonings (Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper), and chicken breasts. You can use frozen!
- Step Three: Let the above ingredients cook on low for four to six hours or until the chicken is cooked and is easily shredded.
- Step Four: Remove chicken breasts and shred them, placing them back into your slow cooker.
- Step Five: Add Milk, Cream Cheese, and Orzo to cook for the last 15-20 minutes – let simmer on low until pasta is cooked to al dente
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Pesto Orzo Soup
This soup is super easy to throw together and is guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser.
- 1 32 oz Box Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Milk You may use 1%, 2%, or Whole Mik
- 1 small container fresh pesto Use 1/2 C reserve the rest for the last 15-20 minutes**
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 TBS Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 Cup Orzo
- 1 8 oz Cream Cheese
Whisk everything but the chicken, cream cheese, milk, and orzo pasta together in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (could be 4-6 depending on slow cooker). When the chicken is cooked through and easily falls apart, remove and shred.
Place shredded chicken back in the slow cooker. Stir in uncooked orzo noodles, cream cheese, milk, and remaining pesto, then cook for another 15-20 minutes or until pasta is cooked.
Once the pasta is cooked, serve or turn the slow cooker to a warm setting—season with kosher salt and pepper.
Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, fresh basil, fresh diced tomatoes, or diced red bell pepper.
- *If you want to make this a low carb friendly soup to accommodate a low-carb diet, you could easily sub out the orzo for cauliflower rice. OR if you are not a fan of orzo, you could swap out the orzo for regular rice, cannellini beans, or any can of white beans.
- ** You may use your own pesto recipe or try this homemade basil pesto recipe from Love & Lemons.
- *** For a thicker soup, use cream instead of milk and add a bit more cream cheese.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes! This soup is fantastic the next day. I actually think it tastes better. There seemed to be extra flavor the next day.
Yes, it can be kept in the fridge in an air-tight safe container for up to a week.
Tho I have not tried freezing this particular soup, most soups fair well in a freezer bag. (Just wait for the soup to cool completely before dividing into bags.
I have not personally tested this recipe in my Instant Pot, but I think it would be great. Use the exact instructions but use the soup button to cook and then cook for an additional 10 minutes with a natural release.
Yes! Just lesson the cooking time to 2-3 hours.
This soup is so simple to make and an easy one for those busy weeknight dinners! So grab this recipe and add it to your recipe box and make this for dinner tonight!
If You Are Looking For More Healthy Delicious and EASY Recipes – Check These OUT!
- Lazy Days Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Chili
- Cheesy Velveeta Broccoli Soup
- Zesty Black Bean Soup
Happy Cooking + Much Love,
This was so easy to make and delicious! We all loved it, so flavorful 🙂
This was so delicous! I just remembered how much I love pesto and was looking for something to use with it other than pasta – this soup was perfect. Super easy to make, and even my kids went back for seconds!
LOVED it! What a great way to use pesto! I love pesto and now have another way to use it other than just on pasta. I made this recipe to the letter and it turned out perfectly!