This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
In our home, we love watching movies together as a family! There’s nothing better than cuddling up on the couch with your kiddos and a big bowl of popcorn enjoying a movie! And with Halloween night right around the corner, we’re dusting off some of our favorite family-friendly Halloween movies and sharing them with you! Here’s our family’s list of Halloween Movies for Kids. These movies are all clean and have just the right amount of scary and spooky. There are movie choices for kids 3+. Most streaming movies will have a brief description of the content and warnings if the movies contain language, violence, or intense scenes. I did try to choose movies I feel comfortable allowing my children to watch, but as a parent, always choose what feels best for your family. You can also use Common Sense Media to review content.
THE ULTIMATE LIST OF HALLOWEEN MOVIES FOR KIDS- THE OG LIST. THESE CAN BE PURCHASED AS A DVD, BLU-RAY, OR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD ON AMAZON PRIME.
- Scared Shrekless – Who doesn’t love a little Ogre-inspired fun?
- It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown – Oh, Charlie Brown and the anticlimactic waiting on the arrival of the great pumpkin. I still remember watching this one every year as a kid!! It’s so fun to see my kids watch and enjoy this one as well!
- Hocus Pocus– Who doesn’t love this classic film about three evil witches, the infamous black flame candle, and their search for human children? A great movie the whole family will love!
- .Monster House– This is a newer one, but still a lot of fun!
- The Little Vampire– This is a fun and cute one as well!
- The Witches– Another oldie but a goody!! Angelica Houston circa 1990– A gem, my friends! I believe they redid this one on HBO Max, But I have yet to see the new version.
- Curious George: A Halloween Boo Fest– This is a great one for younger preschool-age children!
- The Nightmare Before Christmas– Such a fun and clever take on Halloween, written by the clever Tim Burton, who brings Christmas Town to life in this family-friendly film.
- Hotel Transylvania– My kids are obsessed with this one and ask to hear Kelly and I’s “Zing” story all the time
- ParaNorman– We felt this one was a little dark for our younger kids, but several of my friends love it!
- The Worst Witch (The Movie)– A cute story about trying your best and working on improving your weaknesses
- Spookley the Square Pumpkin – <3 This one! Such a sweet story!
- The Haunted Mansion– It’s not just a ride at Disneyland!
- Coraline- If you want to scare your kids into thinking you’re the best parents in the world — try this one!
- Halloweentown – Disney made for TV Goodness right here!
- Return to Halloweentown– Part two, my friends! – Get as a double feature!
- Casper– This classic tale of the friendly ghost is one of my favorite Christina Ricci performances
- Casper Meets Wendy Family Fun Edition– And the fun continues with Hilary Duff.
- Legend of Sleepy Hollow – Another Classic!
- Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride– A clever and unique classic
- Monsters, Inc. One of my kid’s favorites!
- Tower of Terror– Another did the ride or the movie come first debates
- Frankenweenie (2012)– Another offbeat but fun one
- E.T., The Extra-Terrestrial– This one scared me to death as a kid! Am I alone in this…
- Scooby-Doo: The Movie -Your favorite mystery solvers are back and are some of my favorite teeny-bopper stars from my day…
- Goosebumps: A new one – my kids loved it!
- Girl Vs. Monster – This was a made-for-Disney TV movie that my kids really liked.
Since writing this post just a few years back, the ability to stream movies has expanded exponentially. So, of course, I had to add The Best Halloween Movies For Kids, which are available for streaming now on Netflix, HULU, and Disney+!
LIST OF THE BEST HALLOWEEN MOVIES KIDS WILL LOVE ON NETFLIX IN 2022
- Bigfoot Family: Bigfoot’s now a big deal. So when he goes missing, his shy but tech-savvy teen son must take on an evil CEO to save his family and a wildlife preserve.
- Monster House: A trio of friends sets out to expose the terrors of a vacant neighborhood house, which appears to have a craving for people — and a life of its own.
- Super Monsters: Dia de Los Monsters: The Super Monsters celebrate Día de Los Muertos in Vida’s hometown with her magical family, some new monster friends, and a spooktacular parade!
- DreamWorks Spooky Stories 1 & 2: Shrek dares his friends to bring on scary ghost stories in a haunted castle. Later, Ginormica and the Monsters face alien pumpkins.
- A Go! Go! Cory Carson Halloween: Cory, Chrissy, and Freddie hunt for king-sized candy bars this Halloween! But are all the treats worth the trek to the spooky side of town?
- The Little Vampire: An American kid obsessed with the undead befriends offers to help a young vampire whose family is targeted by a ruthless vampire hunter.
- StarBeam Halloween Hero: Greedy Captain Fishbeard is stealing everybody’s Halloween treats for himself, but StarBeam and Boost have some tricks up their sleeves to save the day!
- The Boy Who Cried Werewolf: When high school girl-geek Jordan becomes a werewolf after moving to Romania, she must elude her brother, who sets out to slay her.
- Super Monsters Save Halloween: The Super Monsters use their powers to get their neighbors in the Halloween spirit. Then they help a nervous friend see there’s nothing to be afraid of.
- Monster Island: When a teenager discovers he’s not really human, he ventures out to a remote island to explore his roots and confronts a series of wild challenges.
- Super Monsters Vida’s First Halloween: It’s Vida’s first Halloween at Pitchfork Pines, and she’s nervous about all the unfamiliar traditions and different ways of doing things. Hence, it’s up to the Super Monsters to help make her feel more comfortable. When the Super Monsters get invited to celebrate Dia de Los Muertos in the Howler backyard, they are in unfamiliar territory. But what starts off as a disaster of an event turns into discovering a new tradition they all learn to love.
- The Spooky Tale of Captain Underpants Hack-a-Ween: Principal Krupp and evil boy-genius Melvin make Halloween illegal and institute Hall-no-Ween. George and Harold team up with their friends to hack their favorite holiday, creating Hack-a-ween. The kids wear disguises instead of costumes, carve cabbages instead of pumpkins, and get snacks instead of candy. The hacked holiday is a huge hit, so when Krupp and Melvin make even more trouble, the kids realize that to really save Halloween, they will have to negotiate with the enemy.
- True Tricky Treat Day: “It’s time to collect Plumpkin Day Treats. But when ‘Tricky Treats’ starts turning everyone into a Howling Greenie, True and her friends need to figure out how to save the town.
- Are You Afraid of The Dark: A group of teens are in a secret society that craves scary stories. As the story progresses, the world outside gets even spookier too.
- A Witches’ Ball: Beatrix just passed her tests and thinks she is ready to become a witch, but she’ll have to master one more spell before she can go to the Witches’ Ball.
- Pac’s Scary Halloween: Based on the nostalgic Pac of your youth. Pac and his friends attend a seemingly harmless Halloween party, but the night takes a sinister turn when Dr. Pacenstein attempts to swap bodies with him.
- Gnome Alone: Teenager Chloe and her mother move to a new home, where she gets caught up in a longstanding feud between the house’s gnomes and evil creatures called the Troggs.
- Spookly The Square Pumpkin: A true Halloween classic for kids of all ages.
- Ghost Patrol: Two kids and their pup are called to investigate a real-life haunted house in this charming cartoon thriller.
- A Babysitter’s Guide To Monster Hunting: This new Netflix original finds a babysitter battling the Boogeyman to find a missing boy.
- Liar Liar Vampire: The new kid at school has a hard time fitting in until a popular girl starts a rumor that he’s a vampire. He plays along, making him instantly popular.
- Nightbooks: Alex, a young boy who loves scary stories, gets trapped in the apartment of the evil witch, Natacha (Krysten Ritter), and must tell a scary story each night in order to survive.
- Hubie Halloween: Hubie Dubois (Adam Sandler) might be a figure of mockery, but this year he is out to save Halloween in his hometown, Salem.
KID-FRIENDLY HALLOWEEN MOVIES ON DISNEY+ IN 2022
- Spooky Buddies: This 2011 installment in the Buddies series finds the adorable puppies joining forces to defeat Warwick the Warlock’s villain.
- Zombies: If you love the High School Musical and Descendants franchises, Zombies is your jam. The age-old tale of outcasts vs. the cool kids gets turned on its head through a catchy soundtrack, epic dance sequences, and a colorful storyline. The costumes are pretty great, too.
- Hocus Pocus: The Sanderson Sisters can now be found on Disney +
- Hocus Pocus 2: The much-anticipated sequel will be available for streaming on September 30th on Disney+ – Make it a double feature night!
- The Nightmare Before Christmas: Pumpkin King Jack Skellington is bored with himself and the same scare tactics” of Halloween. He sets his sights on the new enchanting world of Christmas Town, but his spooky spin on the holiday doesn’t go over so well.
- The Haunted Mansion: Eddie Murphy stars in this spooky tale of a real estate agent. His wife and two children try to rescue a historic haunted mansion from its cursed existence.
- Halloweentown High: When a supernatural teen from a witch’s family brings some monster friends (think ogres and gremlins). Into her “mortal world” high school disguised as foreign exchange students, her school—and her magic—is threatened by an evil enemy. This movie is the third of the Halloweentown series.
- Coco: A little boy who dreams of becoming the greatest musician of all time is told “no music!” his whole life. It’s not until he ends up in the Land of the Dead among his ancestors and makes a most unexpected friend that his family story unfolds.
- Frankenweenie: When a little boy’s beloved dog, Sparky, dies, he just can’t face life without him. After learning from his science teacher that muscles respond to electricity even after death, he doesn’t have to.
- The Scream Team: Two kids visit their dad’s hometown for their grandfather’s funeral. With the town’s Halloween Festival preparations in full swing, it’s no wonder the ghosts are coming out, and they just won’t let Grandpa rest in peace.
- Twitches: Twins witches Alex and Camryn, separated at birth, find each other on their 21st birthday. A closet door leads them to a mysterious new world full of exciting discoveries. As it turns out, when they’re together, they’re more potent than when they’re apart.
- Mom’s Got a Date With a Vampire: Adam and Chelsea won’t let anything get in the way of their fun plans for the night—incredibly being grounded. They set her up on a date to distract their mom, but things don’t go as planned. When their little brother realizes the man they set Mom up with is a vampire, they end up fighting for their (and their mom’s) lives in this horror comedy.
- Girl vs. Monster: Skylar is a fearless teenage girl who, upon discovering that her parents are monster hunters, unleashes a wild monster by accident. With the help of her best friends, she must take on the monster. And rescue her parents from captivity.—Oh, and meet her crush at the party of the year.
- The Ghosts of Buxley Hall: In this 1980 flick, Buxley Hall, a century-old school for boys, is forced to share the campus with girls when they find themselves in financial trouble. The ghosts of Buxley Hall launch a spirited counterattack when they discover who the real enemy is.
- Phantom of the Megaplex: Crazy things are happening at the movie theater on a very important premiere night. Silliness ensures when candy spills all over the floors, soda straws fly, and the projectors berserk. Who’s responsible for this mess? Little kids will love figuring out whodunnit.
- The Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie: Because Halloween is filled with wizards and magic, this movie based on the popular Disney show is an entertaining pick. Alex (played by Selena Gomez) learns the truth in the phrase “be careful what you wish for” when threatened by her family’s destiny.
- Don’t Look Under the Bed: Strange things are happening all day long in the town of Middleburg—from gelatin in the swimming pool to a bee-infested principal’s office. Somehow, it appears it’s all Frances’s fault. She teams up with her little brother’s imaginary friend to clear her name and save her town from the one who’s really responsible.
HALLOWEEN MOVIES FOR CHILDREN ON HULU IN 2021
- Tiny Toon Adventures: Night Ghoulery: The gang from Tiny Toon Adventures stars in Night Ghoulery. This one-hour special parodies other well-known Halloween stories in nine shorts. While the movie originally aired in 1995, it’s a great way to introduce your kids to cartoon characters from your own past.
- Sabrina: The Teenage Witch: While the entire series of Sabrina The Teenage Witch doesn’t center around Halloween, what’s more Halloween than a teenage witch learning how to use magic? The TV series begins with Sabrina Spellman celebrating her 16th birthday and learning she’s a witch — and that the two aunts raising her are 600-year-old witches. Throughout the series’ seven seasons, Sabrina comes to learn more and more about magic and what it means to be half-witch, half-mortal.
- Over The Garden Wall: With more whimsy and adventure than spooks and scares, Over The Garden Wall is a fun but still slightly scary animated series perfect for Halloween. It centers around half-brothers Wirt and Greg as they travel through a mysterious forest. They encounter many strange and supernatural things, including “the Beast,” who leads souls astray until they lose all hope. Will Wirt and Greg ever find their way out of the forest?
- Gravity Falls: Half mystery, half comedy. Gravity Falls is 100% fun. It features the adventures of Dipper and Mabel, a brother-sister duo. Who’s been sent to help their great uncle Stan in a mysterious Oregon town. While helping their great uncle run his “Mystery Shack,” the pair investigates various different mysteries.
- Monster Family 2: Nobody’s Perfect: To save the Lochness Monster and King Conga from a monster hunt, the Wishbone family must transform into spooky creatures. Together as a Vampire, Mummy, Werewolf, and Frankenstein, the family set off on a wild monstrous adventure.
- Blippis’s Spooky Spell Halloween: Get ready for a spooky Halloween with Blippi! Learn all about fun Halloween decorations, visit a candy store for the best sweet and spooky treats, learn how to make a Jack-O-Lantern, and so much more.
- Madagascar A Little Wild: A Fang-Tastic Halloween: After hearing spooky rumors about the habitat resident-A BAT, Marty is determined to protect his friends from the newcomer. But when the bat helps him out of a tough situation, Marty learns it’s better to get to know someone before judging them.
- Hotel Transylvania: Dracula invites famous monsters to a birthday party and welcomes an unexpected human.
- 100% Wolf: Freddy Lupin can’t wait to become a werewolf like his legendary father. But when the big day arrives, something goes awry, and Freddy transforms into a ferocious…poodle.
So whether you want to add to your physical DVD, or Blu-Ray library, purchase a digital download or skip the hassle altogether and snuggle up for a Halloween Movie Marathon via Netflix, Hulu, or Disney +, I’ve got you covered with this crazy long list of the best Halloween family movies.
We love theme nights at our house. Try some of our favorite Halloween desserts and goodies and make your family Halloween movie night even more magical!
- Halloween Pudding Cups
- Spooky Black Bean Cups
- No Bake Healthy Cookie Bars
- Sugar-Free Rice Crispy Treats
Much Love + Enjoy Your Halloween!